It can be tricky enough finding the time to work out before you became a parent, and even more so as your family grows. Between your job and your kid’s growing list of extracurricular activities, you may find yourself tight on time. Here are just a few ways busy parents can fit exercise into their already jam-packed week.
Schedule Your Workouts in Advance
Increasing your weekly cardio and strength training is a commitment you must make for yourself. Where many parents miss the mark is in putting their health last. Instead of putting everyone else’s well-being first, actively schedule your workouts into your week. This might mean getting up a bit earlier, working out while your kids are at their extracurricular activities, or eliminating one or two of the less essential items on your to-do list.
Browse Competitive Edge’s Adult Fit Classes
We offer fun-filled, supportive and positively challenging 60-minute movement-based sessions designed to boost metabolism, improve body composition, and make you feel stronger and healthier. These workouts are the perfect alternative to monotonous gym workouts, and no two workouts are ever the same. As an added bonus, working out as part of a group is an excellent social activity. We realize that you may only be able to squeeze in one or two Competitive Edge workouts each week, so mix in the active opportunities below.
Stand All You Can
First up, if your job requires you to work at a computer, inquire about standing desk options. Some companies offer employees the option of either a seated or standing desk or allow employees to purchase their own convertible seated-to-standing desktop accessory. Standing instead of sitting burns between 20 to 50 more calories per hour, which can really add up. Look for other opportunities to stand opposed to sitting. Also, consider sitting on a balance ball to activate your core while sitting at your desk.
Find Fun and Creative Ways to Workout
- Walk the dog.
- Take a family bicycle ride.
- Help your kids practice their sports.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk around the track or block with other moms and dads while your kids are at their extracurricular activities.
- Head out for a family walk before or after dinner.
- Head to the park with a Frisbee, basketball, football, kite or other active games.
- Invest in a jogging stroller to jog or walk while your infant is napping.
- Sign the family up for a charity walk, run or obstacle course.
- Have impromptu dance parties at home.
- Check out fitness DVDs from the library for versatile 10- to 20-minute at-home workouts.
- Purchase fitness gaming devices you can play together as a family.
- Park the car a few blocks from school and walk the rest of the way. As an added bonus, you will miss the parking lot traffic jam!
Whether your goal is to shed the baby weight, keep up with your active kids or improve your overall health, Competitive Edge is here to help!
Competitive Edge aims to develop the “complete athlete” using performance sports training in Woodbridge, VA and surrounding areas. Members are able to enhance their athletic performance and develop a competitive edge to excel in their desired sport.