School is out, and as a student athlete, you might want to take this time to hang out with friends and relax. And while some downtime and recovery is healthy, taking the whole summer off could cost you once it’s game time again. Stay on top of your game with these tips for a balanced and healthy summer.
- Stay on schedule – Create a schedule for yourself, that includes some conditioning, over the summer. Make it well-rounded to include all your activities. Summer internships are a wonderful way of rounding out your summer and making you more marketable to colleges (if you’re in high school) or future employers (if you’re already in college). If you can’t score an internship, summer jobs are also a great way to gain work and life experience. Be sure to include your workouts, recovery time and naps in your schedule.
- Keep up with your training – It’s okay to take a vacation, but don’t let your strength and endurance slip by taking too much time off. Competitive Edge has plenty of options for Sports Performance Optimum Training (SPOT), both sport-specific training and general conditioning. Keep up with your conditioning during the summer, and you’ll thank yourself once the season starts again.
- Get your Zs – Recovery time is just as important as working out. Adequate sleep for athletes is about 8 to 10 hours a night, so stick to a good sleep schedule. Naps are also important to help your body recover after an intense workout. Nap about 2 hours after a workout session, and only sleep for 20 to 30 minutes to kick your body into recovery mode.
- Fuel your body with the right nutrients – Family vacations and outings can really throw your diet off. While pizza and ice cream at the beach are okay for an occasional treat, you want to fuel your body for competition so that you can perform at your best during the season. Eat balanced meals and snacks of lean proteins, veggies and good carbohydrates. If you need to have less-than-nutritious treats, make sure to do so in moderation.
- Catch up with your coach – Communication with your coach doesn’t have to stop during the summer break. Stay in contact with your coach to get motivated, get instructions for workouts you can do at home and ask any training questions you may have. Let your coach know right away if you have any injuries come up during the summer, so they can plan accordingly for the season.
Competitive Edge offers options for student athletes of all levels and ages. If you’re just home from college for the summer, we can help you stay in top condition. We also welcome younger athletes who want to stay on top of their game. We offer sport-specific training like Pass Rush Performance, Off Season Track, Basketball and more. We also offer general conditioning options like Vertimax Jump and Resistance Training, Sports Performance Training, Strength/Weight Training and more. Sign up online today for group classes, private session or camps and clinics.
Competitive Edge aims to develop the “complete athlete” using performance sports training in Woodbridge, VA and surrounding areas. Members are able to enhance their athletic performance and develop a competitive edge to excel in their desired sport.