Improved health and wellness is on almost everyone’s annual list of New Year’s resolutions. Physical fitness plays a vital role in your overall health and well-being, which is why you may be looking to set a few fitness goals for 2018. Here are a few ideas to help you get started.
Fitness Goals for Youth
Children and teenagers are naturally more active than adults. However, as every parent knows, it is easy to settle into a more sedentary lifestyle as adults. This means that parents must encourage their kids to set a few fitness goals each year, with the hope that they will maintain this healthy habit long term. These goals can be achieved in fun and active sports, classes and extracurricular activities. Weight loss isn’t necessarily the goal, but instead, developing a foundation of health your kids can continue to build upon. A few excellent fitness goals for kids should include:
- The sport and athletic programs they want to continue with in 2018
- New extracurricular activities they want to try
- Sport-specific camps and clinics they are interested in
- Off-season training programs that encourage well-balanced fitness
- New at-home physical toys, sports equipment and interactive games
- Fun physical activities you can do as a family
Fitness Goals for Adults
As you can see from the list above, play is an essential part of physical fitness in youth. As adults, fitness is often a bit more scheduled and structured, and you are more likely to have specific goals in terms of your weight and BMI. A healthy, effective and long-lasting way to improve your health is to set realistic goals. Adopt healthy new lifestyle choices and prioritize fitness. A few things to consider:
- Set clear and measurable goals for weight, BMI, performance and endurance. This will help you celebrate the milestones along the way.
- Schedule your workouts into each week. Each week may vary, but your workouts must be on your schedule.
- Consider fun physical activities such as hiking, swimming, dancing, fitness classes and team sports.
- Identify the types of workouts you enjoy and will look forward to each week. Remember, variety will help break the monotony: at home workouts, walking, jogging, cycling, yoga and classes at Competitive Edge.
- Make a fitness bucket list and include trying new sports or physical activities or building your stamina for a fitness event like a color run, obstacle course or marathon.
How Competitive Edge Can Help
Competitive Edge helps both youth and adults achieve their fitness goals by providing a fun, safe and challenging gym alternative. All of our classes and programs are customized to meet your needs.
For Kids: We provide sport-specific skills training, off-season cross-training, clinics, camps, active summer programs, group play sessions and one-on-one training.
For Adults: We provide sport-specific skills training, off-season cross-training and challenging yet supportive group classes. We even have a bridal party boot camp to help you get in shape for your big day.
Our programs are designed for students, adults and athletes of all levels. Reach out today to learn more!
Competitive Edge aims to develop the “complete athlete” using performance sports training in Woodbridge, VA and surrounding areas. Members are able to enhance their athletic performance and develop a competitive edge to excel in their desired sport.